English translations erwünscht?

@LudicrousC

22 hours ago, LudicrousC said:

:lol: Yeah, it wouldn't be a surprise at all as "he sings inside the child" at one point, which is a weird way to describe what is probably pedocriminality, after all! :lol:

All opinions on the lyrics should be in the political / societal section and not in the lyrics section, as there are loads of (ethical) remarks to make from all kind of perspectives. Maybe I should start my own band :D

On some occassions it is very tempting to alter the translations towards a different outcome B)

• Haha 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Lies @LudicrousC Your translations are on the website, as well as all those of Jeremy Williams that I had not yet put on. Big thanks to you

Wiener Blut - done Pussy - done Liebe ist für alle da - done Mehr - done Roter Sand - done Führe mich - done Donaukinder - done Halt - done Roter Sand (Orchester Version)  Liese -

@LudicrousC     Yup, I'm pretty sure you did      With this elaboration I would go for emphasis on the sound (throbbing), as before emphasis is given to "Geräuschen". W

@LudicrousC

Current status:

Roter Sand - Lies still to reply to comments LudicrousC
Führe mich - Lies still to reply to comments LudicrousC
Donaukinder - Lies still to read 1st version LudicrousC

Halt: that looks really good, some alternatives below

On 6/9/2022 at 10:15 PM, LudicrousC said:

They’re filling me with pain (pouring grief over me?)

Sie quellen mich mit Schmerzen (quellen in Dutch = kwellen = torment, I think it is the similar quellen)

They hunt/distress/agonize/torment/torture/excruciate/afflict/anguish/distress me with pain/ache/hurt/agony/misery/torment/malady/distress

> They torment me with agony

But that noisy scourge / that evil sound (?)

Doch das Übel an Geräuschen

But the most evil/bad/ugly/horrendous/horrid/miserable/nasty/wrong/nefarious/vicious/vile/wicked/foul/damnable/atrocious/offensive/loathsome/repulsive/spiteful -----  noise/rustle/whispering/swishing/murmuring/sound

> But the most wicked of sounds

Don’t you see I’m not feeling fine

Seht ihr nicht mir geht's nicht gut

> Can't you see I'm not feeling well

They’re swarming about on me

Sie kommen über mich in Scharen

They're swarming about on me (in hordes/masses/mobs/packs/bunches/cliques/clusters/floods/herds/legion/surges/troups/posses? maybe that would be double with the swarming)

> They are coming over me in surges/swarms

It’s pounding against my temples (in my skull?)

Es tritt in meinen Schläfen

> It’s pounding against my temples

A dead heart is no bereavement (loss?)

Ein totes Herz ist kein Verlust

> A dead heart is no loss

No one fills me like that for fun

Niemand quellt mich so zum Scherz

> No one torments me like that for fun

• Like 1

@LudicrousC 

You were lucky to choose Berlin 2 weeks ago instead of Duesseldorf!

I do hope they have their safety protocols ready for this heatwave......

No fire but water spraying everywhere, a nighttime concert and......

free icecream for everyone :D

@LudicrousC

Roter Sand:

Your version is a lot better, apart from the ugly literal translation I also made quite a lot of errors I see. One line on which an alternative might be better:

On 5/29/2022 at 4:03 PM, LudicrousC said:

He says I had stolen you => He says I must have stolen you (from him)

Er sagt ich hätte dich gestohlen

> He blames me of stealing you

On 5/29/2022 at 4:03 PM, LudicrousC said:

Pointless I go down => Pointlessly I perish (Pointlessly I'm going under)

Sinnlos gehe ich zu Grund

> Pointlessly I perish

If you agree I'll add the adjusted .txt version to the list

Here I am back again. ;)

Révélation

Le 17/06/2022 à 15:45, Lies a dit :

@LudicrousC 

You were lucky to choose Berlin 2 weeks ago instead of Duesseldorf!

I do hope they have their safety protocols ready for this heatwave......

You're damn right! That heatwave was insane (38 degrees Celsius non stop here for 3 days, had to move all the students to the coolest classrooms and shut all blinds down, just to survive, crazy!) I can't imagine how hellish it can be for an open-air concert...

Il y a 8 heures, Lies a dit :

Er sagt ich hätte dich gestohlen

> He blames me of stealing you

Actually, it can't be preposition "of" with "blame", only "for" => He blames me for stealing you

If you want to keep preposition "of", the verb must be "accuse" => He accuses me of stealing you

They both mean the same, but I kinda prefer the first one. Maybe because I feel there's a moral reproach with the verb "blame". So your choice of verb is a good idea. ;)

Le 15/06/2022 à 22:27, Lies a dit :

Sie quellen mich mit Schmerzen (quellen in Dutch = kwellen = torment, I think it is the similar quellen)

They hunt/distress/agonize/torment/torture/excruciate/afflict/anguish/distress me with pain/ache/hurt/agony/misery/torment/malady/distress

> They torment me with agony

I found that "quellen" meant "swell", "spring" or "pour" (same on wordreference). For the meaning of "torment", it's actually "quälen". So I wonder if the problem here isn't the transcript.

The lyrics have never been released by the band (the bonus track lyrics aren't in the CD).  So I checked on Affenknecht and on RammWiki: it's "quälen mich mit Scherzen" instead of "quellen mich mit Schmerzen". Maybe it's safer to consider the right transcript to be on RammWiki (also because I actually hear "Scherzen" in the song).

So here I'd translate the line into =>  They're tormenting me with (their) jokes

And for both lines later => No one torments me like that for fun

(It's a shame we can't keep the same word for Scherz.)

Et du coup @Pierricksi on fait confiance à ce qui a été mis sur Rammwiki, je pense qu'il faudrait changer la transcription et la trad' en français du site pour:

Sie quälen mich mit Scherzen => Ils me torturent avec leurs plaisanteries (blagues)

Et plus bas, on peut garder la même traduction pour cette transcription:

Niemand quält mich so zum Scherz

Doch das Übel an Geräuschen

But the most evil/bad/ugly/horrendous/horrid/miserable/nasty/wrong/nefarious/vicious/vile/wicked/foul/damnable/atrocious/offensive/loathsome/repulsive/spiteful -----  noise/rustle/whispering/swishing/murmuring/sound

> But the most wicked of sounds

The superlative form is a good idea. ;) I'll change that.

Seht ihr nicht mir geht's nicht gut

> Can't you see I'm not feeling well

Sounds better indeed, I'll change that too. ;)

Sie kommen über mich in Scharen

They're swarming about on me (in hordes/masses/mobs/packs/bunches/cliques/clusters/floods/herds/legion/surges/troups/posses? maybe that would be double with the swarming)

> They are coming over me in surges/swarms

I changed the verb as it always sounds much better in English when the verb describes the action rather than the movement. (Just like "I swam across the river" sounds better than "I crossed the river in breaststrokes.") So here, "swarm" translates "in Scharen".

But I understand why you feel the movement is wrong in my English translation. Maybe I should change for => They're swarming over me ?

@LudicrousC

Spoiler

Yeah, maybe the band itself had a hard time too, being on stage with flames and all and 35 degrees C as it is. Also I saw there was a Billie Eilish concert (not my thing ;) ) on Saturday in Amsterdam and fans were already in front of the Amsterdam Johan Cruijff Arena from Friday evening on! I am getting too old for that, being early for me means an hour tops :). But it made me wonder, how do you cope from a safety perspective with that kind of stuff.

(I like the idea of giving away free icecreams, but of course only if I don't have to pay icecreams for god knows how many >30.000? people :) )

On 6/19/2022 at 8:44 PM, LudicrousC said:

He blames me for stealing you

I like the blame version better too. Maybe we can add a pointing finger :)

The lyrics have never been released by the band (the bonus track lyrics aren't in the CD).  So I checked on Affenknecht and on RammWiki: it's "quälen mich mit Scherzen" instead of "quellen mich mit Schmerzen". Maybe it's safer to consider the right transcript to be on RammWiki (also because I actually hear "Scherzen" in the song).

It's a good thing you checked! I was a bit sloppy then with quellen vs quälen, I though, well it sounds the same so that must be it. Dutch both has kwellen (to torment) as kwalen (maladies), but it's not quite the same. Both the translations you mention after this remark seem good to me.

I changed the verb as it always sounds much better in English when the verb describes the action rather than the movement. (Just like "I swam across the river" sounds better than "I crossed the river in breaststrokes.") So here, "swarm" translates "in Scharen".

But I understand why you feel the movement is wrong in my English translation. Maybe I should change for => They're swarming over me ?

I see what you mean with the action vs the movement. I like the They're swarming over me.

• Like 1

@LudicrousC

I have adjusted Fuehre mich in accordance with your remarks and added it to the list at the top of the post.

One remark regarding the Zweileib: I would go for the "A twobody in semen". Or perhaps a two-body, as far as I am aware this word neither exists in German, nor in English (nor in Dutch).

The Rammstein guys do not strike me as being into astrology, so I wouldn't speculate in that direction. 

Edited by Lies
deleted a rampage on astrology and religion
  • Like 1
Il y a 4 heures, Lies a dit :

The Rammstein guys do not strike me as being into astrology

Apart from Richard maybe! :lol:

Il y a 4 heures, Lies a dit :

so I wouldn't speculate in that direction. 

But, yeah, I agree with you in the end. The two-body is a much more simple translation, let's keep it.

• Like 1

@LudicrousC

This is a really good translation of Donau Kinder. I have some alternatives:

On 6/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, LudicrousC said:

Where comfort and pain are melting away

Wo Trost und Leid zerfließen

Zerfliessen is nicely chosen, as also a river fliesst. The river flows ever on and takes both the comfort and the pain. Unfortunately zerfliessen in English it is not to flow away but to melt away. An alternative is to die out, also not ideal. But that is just my simple thought, most correct would be to melt away I think.

> Where comfort and pain are dying out

On your muggy meadows

In deinen feuchten Wiesen

If the feucht is in the air, then muggy is the word that brings you to a humid atmosphere that is nice for mosquitos. If the moist is in the ground, soggy might be better. I do not know which is meant here. Muggy, soggy, some kind of disaster: not a place you want to be :unsure:

And every swan was dead

Und alle Schwäne tot

Maybe the every swan version is more correct, as a Dutch person I like the alle (which then again means every :) ). 

> And all the swans were dead

Black flags floating over the town

Schwarze Fahnen auf der Stadt

The floating gives a nice picture as on a river you can float and the song is about the river. More correct might be that flags are raised.

> Black flags raised all over the town

And people drifted away

Und die Menschen zogen fort

Like with the floating the drifting away gives a nice picture as the river can make you drift away. In this occassion I think it is too far from fort ziehen, but I understand the lyrical freedom you propose here. Alternatives:  abandoned/retreated/deserted/moved on/moved away

> And people moved on

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Le 27/06/2022 à 18:26, Lies a dit :

@LudicrousC

This is a really good translation of Donau Kinder. I have some alternatives:

Wo Trost und Leid zerfließen

Zerfliessen is nicely chosen, as also a river fliesst. The river flows ever on and takes both the comfort and the pain. Unfortunately zerfliessen in English it is not to flow away but to melt away. An alternative is to die out, also not ideal. But that is just my simple thought, most correct would be to melt away I think.

> Where comfort and pain are dying out

You're right but I really like the reference to liquid. As you say, unfortunately, flow can't work here. But die out doesn't refer to liquify or something like that (a flame dies out, an idea dies out...) whereas melt gets a bit closer to the liquid reference. So I added away to make things clearer (disappear).

In deinen feuchten Wiesen

If the feucht is in the air, then muggy is the word that brings you to a humid atmosphere that is nice for mosquitos. If the moist is in the ground, soggy might be better. I do not know which is meant here. Muggy, soggy, some kind of disaster: not a place you want to be :unsure:

Yeah, tough choice. I must admit that I went for the /m/ repetition as it sounds better - I couldn't figure out what was meant here exactly. It could be the soil, it could be the atmosphere, that changed, either because of the river or because of what happened near it...

Und alle Schwäne tot

Maybe the every swan version is more correct, as a Dutch person I like the alle (which then again means every :) ). 

> And all the swans were dead

I guess both are really good here. I can't explain why I went for every immediately, maybe because it's quite common to translate all(e) this way in English.

Schwarze Fahnen auf der Stadt

The floating gives a nice picture as on a river you can float and the song is about the river. More correct might be that flags are raised.

> Black flags raised all over the town

Yep, that's why I added this verb, because something can float in the air, but your option is good too.

Like with the floating the drifting away gives a nice picture as the river can make you drift away. In this occassion I think it is too far from fort ziehen, but I understand the lyrical freedom you propose here. Alternatives:  abandoned/retreated/deserted/moved on/moved away

> And people moved on

The idea was that they were forced to move, they didn't choose to go away because of the tragedy that happened, so that's why I chose this verb. It can imply that they had to follow a general movement... But I understand your point here. ;)

• Like 1

@LudicrousC

I have made adjustments accordingly. I am not sure on this one:

On 7/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, LudicrousC said:

The idea was that they were forced to move, they didn't choose to go away because of the tragedy that happened, so that's why I chose this verb. It can imply that they had to follow a general movement

Alternative 1: And people drifted away

Alternative 2: And people moved on

I am aware of ecological disasters in the second half of the 20th century (actually large scale all over Europe, also in the Netherlands), but I do not know if this text refers to an event that actually happened and under what circumstances people left. I have reread your remark a couple of times now, I don't think I understand. If you think people left voluntarily because the environment was toxic we could go for one of the "away" alternatives (I still think the drifted away is a bit too much poetic liberty and moved away is more correct ;) ). If you think people were forced to move because of some form of government pressure we could go for something like relocated, resettled, (e)migrated or exciled.  

Another alternative in this context could be "And people withdrew", as that can both mean to give up as to recede.

@Lies

What I mean is: they went away but we don't know why. The only clue is death - death of children, of animals... - but we don't know the cause.

It seems pretty logical that the thing that happened, what I call the tragedy, is the reason why they were forced to move, thus they "drifted away". But "moved on" is correct too actually: I just feel that it implies the population could get on with it like no big deal (when I read "moved on", it's like describing the next step of the story - although we don't know what the population do next - and it's more positive to say "move on" than "drift away" - you "move on" when you expect something better in your life, it's often used in an optimistic way - so here, for people who lost their children, that optimism would sound a bit awkward). 

By the way, I know that Pierrick already received translated lyrics for the first songs of the album, but I've finally reviewed your translations of the first three. I find them pretty good as a whole so I'm just pointing at tiny detais:

Rammlied - Rammsong

- Lend your ears

(no -s)

- I'd simplify the Wenn die Freude stanza for:

When joy makes you sad

No star in the night

If you’re lonely and alone

We are here, tune into us

- Right is what right is => What's right is right

[If we start with "right", it won't be understood as an adjective, but as the opposite of left - and the verb always follows the pronoun in a proposition when What is subject]

Ich tu' dir weh - I hurt you

- No matter, permitted what's allowed is what's liked

- And insert rodents into you

Waidmanns Heil - Huntsman's salute

- I am have been in heat for days now

(present perfect necessary with the prepositions since / for when they mean seit)

- This way I will hunt myself a doe (for me)

[I don't think it's necessary to add anything to translate "mir" actually - it's just a way to reinforce the I, there's no equivalent in English - in French, for exemple, "j'achète une pomme" and "je m'achète une pomme" are very similar and both would be translated into "I'm buying an apple". If you add "myself" here, it means that the I is the prey, that he'll hunt himself.]

- The perish lies in wait

[perish as a noun doesn't exist - downfall, disaster, ruin would be good for Verderben but awkward for a personification - the sentence is really tough to translate with the same structure, that's why I'd go for: Lying in wait, disaster]

- A young doe comes to its hooves

[I don't know all the very specific words for hunting, so I'm not sure for a few other lines: I think Spiegel is the part of the doe which is whiter on the bottom - is it called a flag in English? Also, I think "auf die Läufe kommen" is hunting slang for "get something in one's sights" but not sure...]

{As for Haifisch, I'm still trying to figure out what's the best to keep more repetitions for "halten" - your "keep" seems to be a good choice though...}

Edited by LudicrousC

@LudicrousC

On 7/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, LudicrousC said:

so here, for people who lost their children, that optimism would sound a bit awkward

Thank you for your clarification. I agree, so I left the line as you translated it.

It is also nice you took the time to look at the other texts. I did these some time ago with the more literal translation perspective in mind, also I did too much in a row, so I would expect even more flaws :wacko::oops:

As I am Dutch, I move on in my happy and oblivious ways :D

I won't make new versions as Pierrick already has nice translations, maybe I'll compare them once those are posted :rolleyes:

I don't think it's necessary to add anything to translate "mir" actually - it's just a way to reinforce the I, there's no equivalent in English - in French, for exemple, "j'achète une pomme" and "je m'achète une pomme" are very similar and both would be translated into "I'm buying an apple". If you add "myself" here, it means that the I is the prey, that he'll hunt himself.

I get what you are saying. I do wonder about sentences like "I make myself a drink" or "I make myself sick" (maybe these are the same :) ). I read some pages on that usage of the language being indirect speech, but I am not sure, Dutch also has a couple of variants of "mir" so the myself feels natural. "For me" is an elegant solution.

perish as a noun doesn't exist - downfall, disaster, ruin would be good for Verderben but awkward for a personification - the sentence is really tough to translate with the same structure, that's why I'd go for: Lying in wait, disaster

Well, das Verderben is obviously something you do not want to run into, the same thing goes for a disaster. An alternative would be: Spoiling is lying in wait.

I think Spiegel is the part of the doe which is whiter on the bottom - is it called a flag in English?

The Spiegel is the white part of the bottom yes. I took some time when I worked on that text to find the right English term, I now know all kinds of stuff on British fox hunting amongst others ;) . High coonfidence level: it's a flag.

auf die Läufe kommen

Well, hunting is not my forte either. As far as I know "der Lauf" (de loop in Dutch) is a.o. the barrel of a gun. As a hunting rifle has two barrels, that would be "die Läufe". Maybe "die Läufe" could also be the legs of the doe, as these are used for laufen, or the querying of the forest path which the hunter watches. I would also go for the alternative that the doe comes in sight. 

As for Haifisch, I'm still trying to figure out what's the best to keep more repetitions for "halten"

I just reread the German text of Haifisch, and I think that it is just impossible to grasp this highly-versatile repetition of halten correctly in English. Halten is the word of the day for me :D

• Like 1
Le 15/07/2022 à 21:52, Lies a dit :

The Spiegel is the white part of the bottom yes. I took some time when I worked on that text to find the right English term, I now know all kinds of stuff on British fox hunting amongst others ;) . High coonfidence level: it's a flag.

I'm trusting you on this one. Good job as whole by the way. ;)

And you're right for Haifisch, I've been working on it for a while, checking if other verbs would work there, but what you've done with "keep" is better than anything I could do with "remain" and others. ;)

• Like 1

@LiesWell, I've actually tried to rewrite your translation of Haifisch in the end, but it's just a list of propositions and slightly different interpretations. As I said, I find your text quite good as such so feel free to ignore the following. ;)

Shark

We stand together

We can stand one another

We stick together

Nobody can stop us

We keep faith with you

We hold onto it tightly

And abide by rules

When we’re allowed to rule

And the shark (, it) has tears

And they run down its face

But the shark lives in water

So the tears can’t be seen

We keep up the pace

We keep our word

If one does not keep up

Then we stop at once

We keep the eyes open

We hold onto one another’s arms

Six hearts that burn

The fire keeps you warm

And the shark has tears

In the deep it is lonely

Thus many tears flow

And that is why the water

In the seas is salty

People can think of us

Whatever they want

We get compensation [We remain unharmed / uninjured]

We never hold still

And the shark has tears

In the deep it is lonely

Thus many tears flow

And that is why the water

In the seas is salty

And the shark has tears

To explain a bit,

- l.2 I tried to explain "miteinander" a bit more, as if they were responding to critiques saying that the band can't stand one another anymore (answering rumours about splitting or something like that, they actually can stand one another or bear with one another);

- I kept the word "faith" for "Treue" because keeping the noun makes the pronoun "it" clearer (We hold onto it = faith) - "keep tight" gave me the impression of the 6 of them getting closer to one another, but not of keeping faith (since the adjective was "loyal" just before);

- I've changed the pronoum "one" for a passive form or "people" a few times to make sure "man" in German can't be mistaken with "einer" (meaning one of the band) - I feel the passive form helps a lot to translate "man";

- about unharmed / uninjured / compensation, I tried to figure out what was meant here, so I thought maybe they could actually get compensation (schadlos sich halten) when people talk shit about them (like sending their lawyers - they've become famous for that ^_^ ) but it could just mean that they don't care about what people think of them, so that's why they remain unharmed by it...

- I've also changed a few link words, prepositions or verbs, just for preference. ;)

Edited by LudicrousC
  • Like 1

I put the remarks in a new post, maybe just updating doesn't provide a trigger again.

Edited by Lies
s.a.

@LudicrousC

Well now I have watched the Dreigroschenoper, the Haifisch video again (including the making of) and read a lot of comments on what people make of this text and song, just to see if I have missed some meaning. All very interesting and entertaining, but I guess the only thing I missed were some far-fetched interpretations :rolleyes:

Overall I think the alterations are very fair.

Wir halten euch die Treue
Wir halten daran fest

The faith / it combination leaves less room for interpretation than the loyal / it.

With the people / they alternatives (for man) I would not interpret "one" to be one of the band members, but I agree your version is better, especially if we are allowing ourselves some room away from a literal translation.

I have two remarks:

On 7/24/2022 at 9:20 PM, LudicrousC said:

- about unharmed / uninjured / compensation, I tried to figure out what was meant here, so I thought maybe they could actually get compensation (schadlos sich halten) when people talk shit about them (like sending their lawyers - they've become famous for that ^_^ ) but it could just mean that they don't care about what people think of them, so that's why they remain unharmed by it...

Schadlos halten is a term used on the planet of the lawyers, but I do not believe artists would like to think about lawsuits when they are in the process of creating. Luckily Konrad Duden tells us that it also means unschädlich / unbenachteiligt, which fits much better with the two lines before. If we want to keep with the keep an alternative for this line could also be "We keep safe from harm", but in the combination with the two lines before the we remain unharmed flows better:

People can think of us

Whatever they want

We keep safe from harm

vs.

People can think of us

Whatever they want

We remain unharmed

On 7/24/2022 at 9:20 PM, LudicrousC said:

We never hold still

To hold still is more about (restraining) physical movement. Although I do not want to accuse them of "sitting behind the geraniums" (a Dutch expression hinting towards being a couch-potato, for instance after retirement), I think the Wir halten niemals still is more on the sound and expression side. If you agree the alternative with keep quiet would be better, or perhaps: We never keep silent

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Le 02/08/2022 à 17:16, Lies a dit :

To hold still is more about (restraining) physical movement. Although I do not want to accuse them of "sitting behind the geraniums" (a Dutch expression hinting towards being a couch-potato, for instance after retirement), I think the Wir halten niemals still is more on the sound and expression side. If you agree the alternative with keep quiet would be better, or perhaps: We never keep silent

Okay, I understand your point. I thought that maybe it was about movement, in a way meaning "Nobody can stop us" but you're right, "keep quiet" is totally legit, especially for a song! ^_^

• Like 1

@Pierrick

Thank you 🙂

It was a pleasure to work on this contribution. You have a great website, I expect it brings joy to a lot of people.

I was wondering: it is not free, hosting a website. Do you need any donations?

Yes servers and forum license are not free. It’s (almost) fully paid by ads on the website, and also sponsored links with Amazon. So no donation needed thank you!

If you still have time to work on translations, songs in the sections « songs on singles only » and « other songs » are not translated yet ☺️

https://www.rammsteinworld.com/en/lyrics

• Like 1

@Pierrick

18 hours ago, Pierrick said:

So no donation needed

Nice to hear that you are doing fine from that perspective 😊. I was already thinking what would be a nice amount to donate, thinking 234. but now I keep my 234 in my left breast pocket 😁

18 hours ago, Pierrick said:

If you still have time to work on translations, songs in the sections « songs on singles only » and « other songs » are not translated yet ☺️

Sure, every once in a while I get tired with my job and with building a house. Writing a haiku or translating a Rammstein song is a nice change of mental scenery. It might be a bit slow though, these are a bit of what you call in Dutch "stolen hours" 😄

• Thanks 1